About Me

My photo
Valencia, Spain
Hola! I will be studying abroad in Valencia, Spain from September 1-December 17th. I made this blog so friends and family are able to keep up with my adventures. Cuidate! :)

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

La Plaza de la Virgen y Sitios Más Históricos

Buenos dias! I'm so tempted to speak in Spanish all the time now! Even on here! haha. Today was my first day of classes. There are a couple weeks we don't have classes on Fridays, but this week I have 2 classes everyday back to back, but I'm done by noon everyday, which is so so soo nice!

A motto that I'm striving to follow after hearing it so often here is: "Esta bien. Tranquilo." Which means, "It's all good. Be calm." I definitely did that today. I walked home by myself from school (I promise you it's a safe city...and I didn't go in any back allies PLUS there were a lot of people out and about. Esta bien). I did get lost a couple times, but I kept saying to myself, "Esta bien. Tranquilo" and I instantly felt better. I walked slow and took in all the lovely scenery. I walked through el jardin as well, which is a huge garden that used to be a river that went through the whole city. It's very pretty--people jog, ride their bikes, walk and read in this garden. I decided to walk and just take my time getting home!! It took me approximately 45 minutes probably to finally find my way...and I did it without a map too (I had one in my pocket--but wanted to fit in with the crowd, you know?)

Classes are great thus far! I'm signed up to take 5 classes, but will probably end up doing only 4, just to make it a little bit easier on myself. I'm already fulfilling my minor by going abroad, so the credits I receive from these classes will actually be closer to a major. The classes I'm going to take this semester are:

Monday/Wednesdays (9-10:30): Grammar Review & (10:40-12:00) Texts and Interpretation (I will be getting my lit credit for this class)

Tuesday/Thursdays (9-10:30): Composition & (10:40-12:10) Cultural Conversations

I had Composition and Cultural Convos today and I have the same teacher for both. I believe I also have him for Texts and Interpretation. He seems like a lot of fun and it's great because I can understand what he's saying a lot better than some of the other professors. He speaks slow enough that I can interpret what he's saying :)

Mind you, all of my classes ARE in Spanish!! I will be receiving transfer credit (if i pass, obviously) for each class. So the total credits I will be receiving is 24--12 for just going abroad, and 12 for 4 classes at 3 credits each. I think that's right!!

Anyways, last night we went on a walking tour through La Plaza de La Virgen. It was sooo beautiful! I wish all of you could've seen it! It's different from the street that I live on and the streets surrounding my house here. It's definitely the center of Valencia...and a lot of beautiful suites and apartments overlook the city. Without knowing, a group of us wandered there the other night. It's different when it's dark. A lot of people will sit in the big open plaza and drink, talk, eat, smoke, etc. It is definitely a very well-liked area, and is the center of a lot here in Valencia. Here are some pictures from the tour...enjoy!










Talk to you soon!

Cuidate,
Sar

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, (I know I say this all the time but..) the photos are freaking beautiful!!! "Esta bien. Tranquilo"!! I love that expression!!! I'm so excited to hear that you are already comfortable with the language and I can't believe what an amazing time you are having already!!
    I live off these blogs!! It is so great to hear all about your experience and that you are doing well!! Please please pleas keep them coming and PA-LEESE promise to skype soon because I miss you so much!!!!
    I love you!!
    <3 Mary

    ReplyDelete