About Me

My photo
Valencia, Spain
Hola! I will be studying abroad in Valencia, Spain from September 1-December 17th. I made this blog so friends and family are able to keep up with my adventures. Cuidate! :)

Friday, September 3, 2010

Overwhelmed.

Soo, I am completely overwhelmed. There are moments when I think I won't make it, just because the language barrier is driving me insane!! I am definitely not fluent in Spanish, and I know I will be once the semester is over, but I feel like I'm already trying so hard to talk in Spanish and it isn't working out! haha

I also had orientation today, which made this semester seem a lot more terrifying! I know it'll be great, but just the fact that we can't talk English on campus whatsoever (we could be sent home if we do) makes me a little bit nervous. What if I accidentally blurt out a word in English in desperate means to communicate?

Today we also got a list of the classes we are signed up for (classes start Tuesday). I am currently signed up for grammar review, composition, cultural convos, texts and interpretations and survey of spanish literature (middle ages-1700). They are all 300 level classes. I originally wanted to take all the fun classes they offer, such as introduction to spanish art, but UVA told me I could only take 300 level (it's because 400 level is probably too much for me to handle!! haha) All I know is that I will definitely DEFINITELY have to study and spend a lot of time on my schoolwork. Unlike a lot of people who go abroad, my classes are going to be hard and I'll actually have to do stuff. All those people who have went abroad and told me not to worry at all about classes were wrong!! I do!!!

Tomorrow is beach day. The program is taking us to the beach for a day trip. We had to ask our madres for "bocadillos" (sandwiches!) ahead of time so that they can get fresh bread for us and make them to-go! I'll bring my camera and upload pics some point this weekend.

I think right now homesickness is still lingering, but once classes start and people start going out/traveling Europe, I think this will be one trip to remember!

1 comment:

  1. Don't be worried Sarah. I know it seems really intimidating at the moment, but if anyone can do it, you can!! I believe in you!! <3
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete